Monday 25 August 2008

Week 1 - Tetris

Tetris!

The first of my year of games, and it is a clone of Tetris!
The code isn't as good as I had wanted, but I was a bit slack, and a lot of the game was made the night before!
The only thing saving it from looking as bad as the code does, is the fact I am lucky enough to have an artist for a wife!
She helped make some nice looking blocks, a great background done from scratch, and some touches to the GUI buttons, so they don't look so bleak.

It has been a while since I last worked to a deadline, and I didn't allocate my time all that well.
I did a bit of work each day on the train ride to work, but little on the way home.

Saturday I got some more done, but still not enough by that point for what I wanted.

Then at 4am Sunday morning, I woke up & realised I was going to miss my deadline, and this would be another failed project.

I worked all day, from 4am to 10:30pm almost completely on the game.


It was at about 9pm that I found that my sound libraries weren't working, so I rushed to get an update, but I was too tired once I fixed it, to actually get sound working.

I was still even working on the game this morning in to work, and it must have been the most productive I have ever been!


I spent a fair bit of time at work this morning, trying to build a package for windows & linux.
Linux has been a pain, some things missing, so the first release will be Windows only, but hopefully I can fix it later today & add it to this post (Considering I developed it all on my eeePc with xubuntu on it, I really want a linux package!).

I am getting my wife to test the windows version now, and when I know it is working properly, I'll make an installer and post it here.


I am also hoping to get a chance to add a few missing features today (such as sound & special effects), as well as fix up the GUI, which needs some work to be complete.

Tonight is the final deadline though for changes, and then it will be whatever I had working last!

Then I will be on to my next game for the week Breakout.

(This will be updated through the day...)





I haven't been able to verify that it works on other computers (just my own laptop).
I'll be checking it tonight when I get home, but until then, give this a try, I think you might need to install the latest directx (although I will try to remove that requirement later)


Instructions:
Extract the zip on to your computer.
Open the extracted folder and run "game.exe"

UPDATE:
Here it is, the final version.
It doesn't have sound, an installer or a linux version...
I have learnt some lessons though, and the next one will be better organised and less rushed!


Download for Windows

You might also need to update your DirectX install before the game will run:
(If you have errors about "d3dx9_35.dll" missing, you need to update)

DirectX Web Setup

When you are sick of the game, just delete the folder, it doesn't write to anywhere else on your system.

0 comments: